The College Series: How to Set Up Your Schedule

Hey y'all! I'm back with another post in The College Series and this one is full of helpful tips on how to set up your schedule to make the most of your time and make your college transition go smoothly! Let's get started!



Avoid 8:00 AM Classes 

I know everybody says this, but it's so true. When you're given total freedom to do what you want when you want you're going to want to sleep in. Let's be honest. If you HAVE to schedule an 8:00 AM try to make it a lab since they are usually only once a week. 

Give Yourself a Lunch Break

Trust me on this one. Don't schedule classes from 9:00-3:00, you will end up starving and not paying attention. Give yourself one class block to eat lunch. It's worth it, otherwise make sure you have a good breakfast and plenty of healthy snacks in your backpack.


Night Classes Suck

Thankfully, I've never had to take one but I have heard from multiple friends who did and I have yet to meet someone who liked them. They take away a lot of your opportunities to work, have free time with friends, and sometimes even eat. If you can avoid them, do it. 

Don't Leave a Huge Gap

If you're anything like me and have very little self motivation this is the worst thing you can do. It might sound awesome to you to be able to have two or three hours between classes but it's not. Chances are you'll get busy, fall asleep, or just be lazy and not go to class. 


Stack Them Up

I know back to back classes, especially tough classes, don't sound fun but having class all throughout the day is worse. The best thing I ever did was set up my schedule to have class from 9:00 until noon and 1:00 until 2:00 then I was done for the day. This gives you plenty of time to relax, do homework, get some hours in at work, eat dinner, and workout. It even leaves time for binge watching Netflix, you can thank me later. 

Get Into a Routine

I know it sounds brutal to wake up early even on weekends and days when you don't have early classes. It makes it so much easier when that alarm goes off on days when you do have class though. Get into the habit of waking up at the same time every day whether you need to or not. If you get tired during the day, take a quick power nap. 

Wake Up Early to Schedule Your Classes

I cannot stress this enough. Classes go FAST, especially if you're in a popular major with lots of students. Upperclassmen typically get first pick at classes and underclassmen are left with the rest. If they tell you that you can log in and schedule your classes starting at 7:00 AM set and alarm and wake up early. You'll get into the classes you need that way and you won't have to go around begging professors to add you or being put on a wait list. 

Hopefully you've found some of these tips helpful. Have some more useful tips about setting up your schedule? Drop a comment below or shoot me an email! 

No comments